It’s May and the time has come again to celebrate Mother’s Day. As a tribute to our loving moms, I tried to experiment on a simple dish that Filipinos really love. My own version of Pancit Bihon is made with lots of shrimp and quail eggs. The noodles were not submerged into plain water but instead, it was slightly cooked with a rich broth of chicken soup to give off a unique and pleasant taste.
Also, I’ll be sharing with you this contest I discovered on FB called “Cook for the Queen of the Home.” I already submitted my entry and it’s as easy as three simple steps:
- Cook a dish using Lee Kum Kee products. This is perfect because we really love to use Lee Kum Kee condiments at home (especially their soy sauce).
- Surprise mom and take a picture!
- Send it on Lee Kum Kee Philippines official Facebook page for a chance to win 10K worth of prizes!
For complete details, you may visit this link. In the meantime, I will be sharing the complete recipe of my special Pancit Bihon and you might want to try it too!
PANCIT BIHON WITH SHRIMP AND QUAIL EGGS
500g Pancit Bihon (I used Kendy’s products — order here)
10 tsbp Lee Kum Kee Premium Soy Sauce
10 tsbp Lee Kum Kee Panda Brand Oyster Sauce
3 tsbp Lee Kum Kee Sesame Oil
6 cups water
5 tsbp patis
1 whole big carrot – chopped
1 cup celery stalks – chopped
1 large cabbage – chopped
1/4 cup parsley leaves – chopped finely
1 medium onion – chopped
2 tbsp garlic – minced
24 pcs quail eggs – boiled
250g squid balls
1 tbsp freshly ground pepper
2-7 pcs calamansi
3 tsbp unsalted butter
COOKING THE QUAIL EGGS
1. Cook quail eggs in boiling water for 5 minutes.
2. Peal off shells and set aside.
COOKING THE SHRIMPS
1. You may want to unpeel and devein shrimps before cooking. I skipped this step because I want to have the full experience of eating the shrimp including the unpeeling process with the cooked pancit.
2. In a large pot, melt butter.
3. Add shrimps then let cook each side for total of 2 minutes.
COOKING THE CHICKEN
1. Boil chicken with 6 cups of water (20 to 30 minutes).
2. Set aside chicken stock, you will use this later.
2. Debone and cut chicken into thin slices. Set aside.
COOKING THE NOODLES
1. Make sure that chicken stock is boiling.
2. Submerge pancit bihon noodles for 2 minutes then set aside.
1. In a large pot, melt butter.
2. Saute the garlic and onion.
3. Add chicken then let it cook for 2 minutes.
4. Put in the kikiam and squid balls then let it cook for 1 minute.
5. Add carrots, celery, parsley.
6. Pour patis.
7. Pour Lee Kum Kee Premium Soy Sauce, Panda Brand Oyster Sauce and Sesame Oil.
8. Add freshly ground pepper.
9. Add 3-4 cups chicken stock then simmer for 5 minutes.
10. Add cabbage.
11. Add pancit bihon and mix. Cook until liquid is completely gone.
12. Add shrimp and mix well.
13. Serve hot on a plate topped with quail eggs.
14. On a separate sauce container, serve toyo + calamansi mixture.
15. Take a pic!
Don’t forget to submit your entry to Lee Kum Kee Philippines official Facebook page for a chance to win 10K worth of prizes! Have you tried my recipe or did you modify it to fit your taste? Tell us your thoughts in the comments section or post a photo using #eatsasmallworld! Happy mothers day!